Saturday, April 28, 2007

"When You Wish upon a Star"

Today I have read some excerpts from Christopher Hitchens' new book, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. So much to comment on, so little time. For this post, I'll concentrate on one little gem.

“There are four irreducible objections to religious faith:… and that it is
ultimately grounded on wish-thinking.”


Okay Mr. Hitchens, I'll take the bait on this one. If I could design life my own way, here's how I'd do it.

Item # 1 on the Wish List Hit Parade: I'm am an inherently good and nice person. Any shortcomings I have are the result of bad nurturing. I can overcome those shortcomings by working hard to be good. What exactly is goodness, though? That brings me to...
Item #2 on the Wish List Hit Parade: I will create my own moral code. I will be able to live by the rules I have created. If anyone does not like my moral code, it's too bad, so sad for them.
Item #3 on the Wish List Hit Parade:I'll do lots of good works (according to my standards) and everyone will love me.
Item #4 on the Wish List Hit Parade: I am autonomous. I can control myself and my life.
Item #5 on the Wish List Hit Parade: When I die, I'll have eternal peace. I'll either totally evaporate into nothingness or I'll go to some great collective human consciousness that is shared by everyone. I haven't decided which. I'l let you know when I figure it out.

Let's take a look at the reality list in Christianity:

#1 Christian Reality:I 'm a sinner. I was born that way and I can't blame anyone else for it.
#2 Christian Reality: I have to follow God's moral code.
#3 Christian Reality: Working really hard to follow God's moral code doesn't get me anything. I already broke the law and He doesn't like that.
#4 Christian Reality: God is sovereign. He doesn't let people do any old thing they want. I have to depend totally on the work of someone else ( i.e. Jesus Christ) or things will get really toasty for me.
#5 Christian Reality: When I die I'll be held accountable. If I don't have anything other than my own goodness to present to God, then it's off to the lake of fire I go.

Christopher Hitchens, come on down, you win today's award for unmitigated gall!

No comments: